Support for Students

We devote both time and resources to make sure our students are happy and feel at home in Cambridge, so they can get the most out of their course. We pride ourselves on being a supportive community, where students and staff play an active role in looking after one another.

How we support you

While we believe that the College should not intrude on a student’s privacy, we have a discreet network of support in place for students should they need somewhere to turn in confidence.

Scroll down the page to see the various forms of support available – academic, pastoral, financial, health and welfare, and support for disabilities.

Academic Support +-

For Undergraduates

Individual or small-group teaching is provided by the College in the form of supervisions. Students and supervisors work closely together, discussing work prepared in advance and clarifying any problems encountered in lectures or reading. Typically, you will have between one and four supervisions per week. Each supervision is about an hour in length and is attended by you, your supervisor, and sometimes one or two other students. Your supervisor may be a Fellow of Trinity Hall or another College, and may even be the person delivering the current lecture course in the Faculty!

Your Director of Studies (frequently abbreviated to DOS) will be responsible for organising your supervisions, and for taking care of your academic welfare in general; whether advising you on what courses to take, what lectures to attend or addressing any work-related problems you might have, your DOS is always at the end of an email.

For Postgraduates

Postgraduate students studying for a research degree will have a supervisor assigned to them by the relevant Department.

Pastoral Support +-


Each student (both undergraduate and postgraduate) is assigned a personal Tutor who is responsible for their non-academic welfare while they are at Trinity Hall. All of our Tutors are Fellows of the College and will meet students on a regular basis to talk through their general progress, seeing to it that their welfare and general wellbeing are being provided for.


Staff in the 教程的办公室 are present during office hours and are always happy to help with any queries students might have.

College Dean and Chaplain

The Dean, who also officiates over the College Chapel, is available to provide support to all of our students, irrespective of their faith.


Our Porters are always happy to have a chat or to provide help and advice where they can. They are also trained in First Aid.

Welfare Officers

Both the undergraduate and postgraduate student committees (JCR and MCR) have Welfare Officers, who are elected by the student body each year.

Wellbeing Team

The Wellbeing Team is a multidisciplinary team that aims to provide, refer, or signpost students to the right support at the right time. The team can provide advice and support on any issue impacting a student’s wellbeing, including mental health, physical health, and disability-related matters.

More pastoral and wellbeing support information

Financial Support +-

There is a widespread myth that Cambridge is more expensive than other universities. In actual fact, Cambridge is a relatively inexpensive place to study thanks to the substantial additional support available from the University and Colleges. Therefore, don’t let the costs put you off from applying and missing out on some great opportunities!

The University and Colleges offer a range of bursaries for students. For further information, please follow one of the links below:

Support for Disabilities +-

The College and University are committed to providing appropriate support for students with disabilities. The College works closely with the University’s Accessibility and Disability Resource Centre to ensure that students have what they need to take full advantage of their time at university.

The Disability Access Guide provides full details of the College’s facilities for disabled students.

Support for Care Leavers/Estranged Students +-

All students require support from time to time, but some care leavers may have specific concerns when starting university.

The far-reaching welfare system in place at the University of Cambridge means we consistently have one of the lowest drop-out rates in the UK. As well as the support you receive through your College (such as the opportunity to live in College accommodation throughout the year if you need to), there are a number of University services that provide specialist assistance should you need or want it.

In order to ensure you get the support available to you as a care leaver, you should indicate in your UCAS application that you’ve spent time in care.

For further information, please see the page on Care Leavers Support on the University website.

Connect with Trinity Hall